Dear 2nd Grade Parents,
We are finished with MAP testing! The students worked very hard to complete their MAP tests this week. I was impressed by their focus and effort throughout each test and day this week. In reading, we have been working in our small groups, learning new vocabulary words, and focusing on stories in our Treasures Readers that include these vocabulary words. The class has also been picking up on our new vocabulary in our class read alouds, science, and across various subjects. In writing, we created pumpkin booklets to review our short vowel “u” sound from last week and incorporate other previously learned short vowel sounds. In math, we are diving into subtraction. We had an exciting lesson on Monday where we practiced “all or nothing subtraction” by popping balloons. It was quite the eventful way to jumpstart our work in subtraction! In science, we are continuing to focus on different states of matter, specifically liquids and gases. Our lessons next week will include various experiments with liquids and even some popcorn, stay tuned for the exciting things that we are going to discover as physicists!
We have vision testing on Monday, October 14th, please make sure your student brings their glasses if they wear them.
Carleton Farm Field Trip:
We are very excited for our field trip to Carleton Farm on Tuesday, October 15th. Here are a few notes regarding the trip prior to our departure:
- Free dress for the 2nd grade students, rain boots and a rain jacket are highly recommended. Students should bring an extra pair of shoes to change into after the field trip.
- We will be departing from the school for our field trip around 9:45 a.m. and returning no later than 1:00 p.m., the students will be dismissed at 2:45 p.m. from school.
- Please send a labeled sack lunch and water bottle/beverage with your child, we will be eating lunch at the farm.
- Please also send a labeled bag for your student to bring their pumpkin home in.
- If your child requires a booster seat, please send one to school with them labeled with masking tape.
- There will not be an opportunity for the students to buy food or anything extra at the farm.
**I will send out a note to parent chaperones with further information on Monday afternoon. 😊
Math night is Thursday, October 17th from 5:30-6:30. We will have an exciting candy corn S.T.E.M. activity and pumpkin investigation in the 2nd grade classrooms! Hope to see you there. 😊
Homework and Spelling:
In the upcoming week, we will be focusing on the short vowel “e” sound in spelling. The homework packet is due Friday, October 18th.
Fall Book Report:
We went over a model of the Scarecrow final product during reading this morning, this is due next Friday, October 18th.
I hope you have a wonderful fall weekend! Stay warm!
Second Grade Teacher