Dear 2B Families,
I hope everyone is staying healthy! Tomorrow is National Read Across America Day in honor of Dr. Seuss’ birthday. Your child is invited to bring a Dr. Seuss book to school for an afternoon partner activity. I am still building my Dr. Seuss collection, so it would be helpful to have some extra books from home. 😊
- Math: We will be taking our assessment on double-digit addition with and without regrouping tomorrow. I was able to check-in with each student on Friday during our math scoot game for review and they were able to clearly explain the reasoning for regrouping using mathematical vocabulary, which was awesome!
- Social Studies: We started our habitat reports using ProQuest through the SMM Library Portal. The students have really been enjoying the opportunity to research and use the Chromebooks to do so!
- Religion: We started our Lenten Journey journals, we will be reflecting and meditating throughout Lent. We also set goals for how we can pray, sacrifice, and be loving and kind to show that we are a follower of Jesus during Lent and beyond. A highlight from 2nd grade this week, was when the students went into classrooms around the school and shared about the CRS Rice Bowl. I was only able to pop into a few rooms, but I had many teachers also approach me and share how wonderful they did.
- Reading: See below for information about our next report!
Homework: In spelling, we will be focusing on the “ir and “or” phonogram sets next week. The homework packet is due on Friday, March 6th!
Biography Report: The biography report packet was sent with your student on Friday. I have asked the students to keep these packets in their folders so we can write down the name of their famous person and in case we have time to do research at school. The packet is a rough draft and the final poster, sent home on March 12th, is due Monday, March 23rd.
- Presentations will be the week of March 23rd-27th.
- Please remind your child to bring their “Top 3” Famous People list to class tomorrow 3/2, as we will be finalizing choices then.
- Included in the packet is a list of notable people that have been chosen in the past, along with directions for research, and a rubric.
- We have practiced research on ProQuest over the past couple weeks and the students will be able to get a book on their person from the library on Tuesday.
- If you are able to help your child supplement the materials provided by checking books out a local library that would be helpful too!
Auction Project: Please see the forwarded email last week from Vanessa Thuyns (Bennett’s mom) to support our auction project! The book basket turned out wonderfully, thank you to all of those who donated! 😊
I hope you are enjoying your weekend!
Second Grade Teacher